‘Tis the season……to stress out?
It’s no secret that the holiday season is one that is met with both joyful anticipation and overwhelming stress. It is not unusual that this time of year also brings additional stress into the workplace. Here are some tips to help alleviate the holiday blues and keep your company productive and your employees engaged.
- Keep things in perspective. Not everyone celebrates the holidays. Not everyone that does celebrate the holidays cares to do so at work. Make it fun for those who want to participate but don’t make people feel obligated to participate in workplace gift giving or attend the holiday functions with a guest.
- Be respectful of your employees’ time. It’s easy to think your employees will really appreciate an evening or weekend holiday function, but the reality is, they might not. Survey your staff and offer options. Maybe a simple luncheon followed by an afternoon off would be more welcomed, cost-effective and appreciated than a weekend event at a fancy venue.
- Understand that the year is not defined by one month of results. So many employers wait until the end of their 4th quarter to talk to their employees about a company’s financial goals and where they stand relative to “year end.” Communicate throughout the year so that everyone is on the same page and doesn’t feel stressed by a sudden obsession with numbers.
- Get some help! This is especially true if you work in the retail industry, or anything that supports the retail industry (transportation, shipping, manufacturing, etc.) Your workers are stretched, you are busier than ever and sooner or later, people reach their breaking point. Plan early and get extra help to meet your customer demands.
- Focus on the Short Term…for the sake of the long term. Sometimes your workforce just needs to know that you see them. You see the extra efforts, you see the added stress and you appreciate them making their jobs a priority during a very busy time. Employees that feel valued and appreciated in the stressful times tend to remain loyal when the going gets rough.
- Get Creative! Think of fun and inexpensive incentives that would both relieve stress and provide some sort of helpful service. Chair massages, free gourmet coffee bar, impromptu breakfast or lunch buffets, an extra-long paid lunch to accomplish necessary errands, a little extra unpaid or paid time off or even the services of a personal shopper are little things that companies can do to make the holiday season a little less stressful.
An award-winning staffing expert in Southeastern Wisconsin in manufacturing, clerical, professional and light industrial placements, Nissen Staffing Continuum can assist you in finding great employees in Wisconsin for both your short-term and long-term needs. As your strategic partner, we’ll help you take your staffing initiatives to the next level, whether it’s onsite programs, direct hire placement, temp-to-hire programs or temporary staffing. Our recruiters are dedicated to finding great employees for our clients. For more information about how we can help you find great employees, contact us today and allow us to help you with your HR needs so you can focus on your company’s success!