For at least the last year, the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development has reported monthly unemployment rates that have hovered in the mid 4% range, sometimes a full point lower than the national average. Economic growth, a demographic shift as Baby Boomers exit the workforce, and a shortage of skilled labor employees have some Wisconsin employers shaking their heads and wondering what they need to do to hire quality workers.
As your staffing expert in Southeastern Wisconsin, we can assure you that you have hiring options. Whether it’s switching over to a fully contingent workforce, making the choice to develop on-the-job training programs, or working hard to become an employer of choice, choosing an experienced staffing partner is an essential part of your hiring strategy. Over the next few months, we will be discussing hiring trends and tips about how we can help you to hire and retain great employees.
Tip 1: Consider Direct Hire
Consider this: you have an opening for an entry-level machine operator in your food manufacturing facility. Typically, you have partnered with a staffing company via only a temp-to-hire arrangement. Your biggest competitor is also hiring, and is looking for the same skill set. They, too, only hire people on a temp-to-hire basis.
FACT: Both you and your competitor are competing for the same manufacturing skill set.
FACT: Since you are competitors in the food industry, in the same market, you both have similar cost structures and therefore pay similar wages.
FACT: Since you are both hiring only on a temp-to hire basis, you are competing for the same workforce sector.
FACT: The unemployment rate is around 4.5%. Available employees, especially qualified manufacturing employees, are scarce.
CONSIDER A DIFFERENT HIRING SOLUTION:
Open yourself up to the option of Direct Hire. While you may very often find great candidates through Temp-to-Hire arrangements, you have now done two important things:
- You have differentiated yourself from your competitor.
- You have allowed your staffing partner to tap into a group of people that typically won’t look at a temp-to-hire job: the currently employed.
Recruiting someone that is already employed, whether they are actively seeking a new job or are passively looking, opens your hiring options.
- It is sometimes less expensive than hiring a person on a temp-to-hire basis.
- It allows your recruiter to look at the most QUALIFIED candidates versus the most AVAILABLE AND QUALIFIED candidates.
- It allows you to hire someone that has a proven track record of success because they are currently performing the job that you are looking to hire them to do.
- It allows our team of dedicated Sourcing professionals to provide candidates to our recruiters without having to consider whether or not they are currently working.
An award-winning staffing expert in Southeastern Wisconsin in manufacturing, clerical, professional and light industrial placements, Nissen Staffing Continuum can assist you in finding great employees in Wisconsin. As your strategic partner, we’ll help you take your staffing initiatives to the next level, whether it’s onsite programs, direct hire placement, temp-to-hire programs or temporary staffing. Our recruiters are supported by a full time sourcing department dedicated to finding great employees for our clients. For more information about how we can help you find great employees, contact us today and allow us to help you with your HR needs so you can focus on your company’s success!